Frequently Asked Questions


  • Q: Where can I find low-cost dental care in Bergen County?

    Ans: Federally qualified health centers (FQHC) can provide low-cost dental services to anyone regardless of income or residency.In Bergen County , the FQHC is located at 535 Midland Avenue , Garfield .The Center, which is open from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, can be reached at 973-340-1182.

    Bergen Community College also offers a dental hygiene clinic. Appointments are available at 8:30 a.m. and 1:00 p.m., Monday through Friday; call 201-447-7180. Services are provided by students in the Dental Hygiene Program who perform preventive oral care procedures under the supervision of Faculty Dentists and Licensed Dental Hygienist.

  • Q: How can I get a copy of a birth certificate? a marriage certificate? a death certificate?

    Ans: Certificates are issued by the Board of Health of the municipality in which the event took place. Requirements for issuing certificates vary depending on the type of certificate and the municipality. The municipal directory lists the main municipal phone numbers and can be used to contact any department within the municipality including the Board of Health.

  • Q: Where can I get vaccinations for travel?

    Ans: Click here for a list of local organizations that administer vaccinations. Call to determine which vaccinations will be necessary for your trip and which they can administer.

  • Q: How can I dispose of household hazardous waste in Bergen County?

    Ans: The schedule for household hazardous waste collections in Bergen County is available on the web at BCUA.org or www.njhazwaste.com. For additional information, contact the Bergen County Utilities Authority Hotline at: 201-807-5825.

  • Q: How do I find out about mosquito control activities in my area?

    Ans: The Bergen County Mosquito Control is a division of the Department of Public Works. A program description and contact information are available on their web site at: http://www.co.bergen.nj.us/public_works/mosquito.html

  • Q: How do I obtain a copy of the inspection report for a restaurant or food establishment?

    Ans: By law food establishments in Bergen County are required to furnish a copy of their sanitary inspection report upon request. Copies of this report may also be obtained by contacting the Board of Health in the municipality in which the food establishment is located. The directory of municipalities in Bergen County includes the main municipal phone numbers.