The EAP (Employee Assistance Program) provides confidential assessments, referrals and monitoring to employees for such personal matters as family and marital relations, legal and financial difficulties, substance abuse and other problems. The EAP has proven to be an important and successful health personnel service for all county employees and as a cost effective option for Bergen County municipalities as a Shared Service option.
In 2012, approximately 20% of referrals were substance abuse related. Another 25% involved family issues and other interpersonal problems. The remaining 55 % involved a variety of other matters including legal, financial problems and crisis counseling. Employees referred to the EAP due to job performance issues, including positive random drug/alcohol tests were at about 20%. The remaining 80% were employees who made contact with the EAP voluntarily.
Since 1995 the Bergen County Employee Assistance Program has provided qualified Substance Abuse Professional (SAP) services to those employees who hold Commercial Drivers Licenses and those who perform safety sensitive transportation functions. The qualified SAP role conforms to the US Department of Transportation Office of Drug and Alcohol Policy and Compliance based upon 49 CFR Part 40 Federal Rules and Regulations governing Drug and Alcohol testing for CDL/ safety sensitive transportation employees in aviation, trucking, railroads, mass transit, pipelines and other transportation industries. SAP services include the federally mandated assessment/interview, referral and return to duty recommendation reports to management when a CDL employee yields a positive drug test or a BAC reading above 0.039.
The SAP services provided by the Bergen County EAP are an affordable alternative for the County and municipalities who employ CDL drivers. In 2012, nine Bergen County municipalities contracted with the Bergen County Health Department for Shared Service contracts for EAP/SAP services.